Marlin wrote:
> The following is from: http://www.cbcg.org/true_sabbath.doc
>"Many ministers and theologians have applied the opposite
> meaning to Hebrews 4:9.  They have completely misinterpreted
> the King James Version of this verse, which reads, "There
> remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."
> ... <snip>...

Hi Marlin.  I had huge problems with the logic of this article that you
shared.  Basically it sought to establish the use of a same Greek word used
in the Septuagint to argue that Paul could only mean exactly the same thing
as that referred to in the Septuagint.  This is crazy.  People use words
figuratively all the time.  Water is sometimes used in the New Testament to
refer to the Word of God, and you can't argue that because in the Old
Testament it means real water that it must mean real water in the New
Testament.  Bread likewise is used this way.  Leaven is another thing that
in the New Testament refers to sin, and also to false doctrine and a false
political system.  What would you think if I pointed out how the same Greek
word is used in the Septuagint to refer to real leaven.  Are you really
going to think that therefore it must refer to actual leaven everywhere the
word is used in the New Testament?  Such logic is ludicrous.

The article said:
> The apostle Paul kept the holy days

True.

The article said:
> and commanded Gentile converts to keep them (I Cor. 5:7-8).

False.  This passage in 1 Cor. 5 is exactly one of those passages where Paul
sees clearly and expresses to the believers how that Christ has become our
passover sacrifice, so now we are in the days of unleavened bread and we
should put away the leaven.  He is not talking about literal leaven that is
put out during the days of unleavened bread anymore than he is talking about
the literal passover lamb that was killed and eaten at passover.  He is
talking about how when believers become saved in Jesus Christ, they
immediately put away from themselves the leaven of sin from their lives,
just as the shadow of the feasts depict.  Notice how this passage says, "not
with old leaven" and "with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."  He
spells it out clearly for everyone that the unleavened bread he speaks of is
not something you put in your mouth and eat.  Rather, he is speaking about
the sincerity and truth that we need to walk in when we believe upon Jesus
Christ and eat him as our passover lamb (spiritually speaking, not
literally).

I think observing passover and the feast of unleavened bread is wonderful.
Paul, being a Jew, kept these feasts and taught their application to the
believer.  I have been in Israel during Passover and the feast of unleavened
bread, and the imagery is fantastic when you have all these hotel owners and
restaurant owners washing all their things outside, getting rid of every bit
of leaven.  People meticulously vacuum their cars to make sure every bit of
leaven is gone.  When a person understands how this leaven represents sin,
to see all the industry given to making sure the leaven is all gone, how
clear it becomes that we must put away every speck of sin that might be
residing somewhere in our lives.

I have Jewish friends who are not Christian.  During Passover and the feast
I was visiting one of these friends in Israel.  I asked him if he knew why
the Scriptures told them to get rid of the leaven.  Did he know why they
were doing all this.  He said no, only that the Torah says to do it.  You
should have seen his eyes widen when I explained how our Christian
perspective is that the leaven represents sin, and therefore, when we come
to Christ who is the true passover lamb, we must immediately put forth all
the leaven (sin) in our lives and enter into his rest.  He has lived in this
culture his whole life and never heard that.  In my culture, people don't
understand what it takes to get rid of all the leaven in the household.
Bringing these cultures together is wonderful I think.

The article said:
> Paul carries his instruction even further, showing that
> we have to keep the Sabbath or lose salvation.
> "For he that is entered into His rest [keeping the Sabbath],
> He also has ceased from his own works, as God did
> from His [when He created the Sabbath day]"

Do you believe this Marlin, that if we don't literally observe Saturday that
we will lose salvation?

Do you not recognize that the author of Hebrews was talking about a rest
other than Saturday observance?  Surely you are not blind to this spiritual
insight.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida  USA