Izzy, I understand what you are saying now.   I have taken time like this.  I do take time like this in the future.  Time to be alone with God.  I didn't see that as observing the Sabbath.  I don't do it on any particular day or time schedule.    I have done it days at a time and only an hour or 5 at a time.  I have actually had experiences that people would say I am lying about.  My best time alone with God is late late at night.

Hi Glenn,

I think I understand where you are coming from, as far as not being under bondage.  You apparently were beaten down by legalistic attitudes in the past, and rightfully are wiser and more cautious because of it.  You are right that we are free from that!

However, in keeping the Sabbath, (which by the way, I have never insisted that YOU must do), I do not feel at all under bondage—no more than keeping the other commandments. I have experienced Sabbath Keeping as a wonderful Gift from God!  (This came as quite a surprise to me, when I first began the practice simply out of an inner tugging to obey on this.)

Imagine having one whole day/week to do nothing but spend with the Lord. No work! No pressures! No nothing but Jesus and His word.  It is not only not a burden; I look forward to this blessed time each week. And, in the process, I feel closer to Him because of our precious time together; and because I know that I have disciplined myself to obey Him. Preparing for the Sabbath on Friday, rushing around at the last minute to be ready, is like a little picture of the Bride preparing for her Bridegroom. The anticipation!

I can’t express the holiness of it except to ask you to close your eyes and remember how it feels when you are outside all alone after a big snowstorm: Everything is hushed, white, and awe-inspiring. The air is so clean and still. You don’t want to disturb a thing; just take it all in. That is what I mean by the holiness of the Sabbath; from the moment you light the candles and pray at sunset on Friday, clear through the next 24 hours. A day that used to be mine is now HIS.  His presence is what makes it holy. By honoring the Sabbath you make space for Him; and He does come in. What a joy!

Izzy

PS (I hope David does not think that we were agreeing that silence on a matter in the Bible is an excuse for sin or lack of wisdom and discernment!)