David Miller wrote:
>> Jesus was convicted of being seditious.

DAVEH:
> A trumped up charge.......

Of course, but from my perspective, street preachers often suffer
similar trumped up charges.  Now I grant you that there are loony
zealots out there too that act inappropriately, but I don't think we are
talking about them.

DaveH wrote:
> "And Pilate, when he had called together the chief priests
> and the rulers and the people, Said unto them, Ye have
> brought this man unto me, AS ONE THAT PERVERTETH THE PEOPLE:
> and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found
> no fault in this man touching those things whereof
> ye accuse him: No, nor yet Herod: for I sent you to him,
> and, lo, nothing worth of death is done unto him."
> Lk 23:13-15

Notice the accusation:  one that perverteth the people.  This is the
same accusation leveled against street preachers.

DaveH wrote:
>> Realize that when you read the Scriptures, you
>> are reading the positive side of the event.

DAVEH:
> And that account does not to me portray Jesus as
> being obnoxious, even to his enemies.  Are you
> suggesting the Bible does not accurately depict
> our Lord?

Of course not.  The Bible is accurate.  I believe Carroll's account of a
preaching event would be accurate too, but it would never present it as
some obnoxious event.  The one's who characterize it as such are those
who oppose the message.

DAVEH:
> Because Satan motivated them to do so in an effort
> to thwart the Plan of Salvation.

That's right, just like Satan motivates people like Pagan Wolf to setup
street preachers to get arrested.

David Miller wrote:
>> Do you really believe that it was because they
>> were peacefully and quietly going door to door
>> and talking with those who would invite them in?

DAVEH:
> Yes, I do.

Do your Mormon missionaries suffer this kind of persecution?  I don't
hear about them getting thrown into prison.  Is Jeff in prison right now
for spreading the gospel?

DaveH wrote:
> Have you not preached on the street in a peaceful
> non threatening manner, and not had some whacko
> want to do physical harm to you?

>From my perspective, I ALWAYS preach in a peaceful, non-threatening
manner, but when I watch the evening news, it sure is not depicted that
way!

I will say that once I witnessed to a man in his home, having been
invited in.  I was in his home for more than an hour.  When I left his
home, a young man was outside and said that he knew someone who wanted
to talk to me.  He led me in a direction to find this person, but it was
all a ruse.  As he ushered me to go ahead of him, he retrieve a baseball
bat from some hidden place and hit me over the head from behind.  I
guess you could call this physical persecution from some whacko when I
was not threatening to him in the least.  To finish the story: I don't
remember even being hit, just waking up with him standing over me with
the baseball bat in his hand.  I got up and said, "I forgive you.  God
bless you."  I reached out my hand to shake his.  With his jaw dropping
and a stunned look on his face, he dropped the bat in order to shake my
hand.  I then left immediately because I had a friend who was waiting to
pick me up.

So I see your point here Dave, but I never experienced arrest or media
coverage for provoking societal unrest until I started public preaching.
And I must point out that preaching is what God has chosen to spread the
gospel, and preaching is not going into people's homes and talking one
on one.  Preaching is a public declaration and heralding of God's Word.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.