DavidM,
Kevin says: Are you teaching as the LDS do that Christ ATONED for sins in the Garden, not the Cross?
That Christ was purified & we can be too by a Gethsamn experience?

Kevin Deegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Perhaps the greatest example of Jesus striving against sin is conveyed
to us in the following account:
And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down,
and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me:
nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. And there appeared an
angel unto him from heaven, STRENGTHENING HIM. And BEING IN AN AGONY he
prayed more earnestly: and HIS SWEAT WAS AS IT WERE GREAT DROPS OF BLOOD FALLING DOWN TO THE GROUND. (Luke 22:41-44 KJV)

Are you teaching as the LDS do that Christ ATONED for sins in the Garden, not the Cross?
That Christ was purified & we can be too by a Gethsamn experience?

The Purifying Power of Gethsemane: The Ensign, May 1985; Elder Bruce R. McConkie. Talk given during April 1985 General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
http://www.konnections.com/kcundick/mcconkie.html
Then in Gethsemane we will see the Son of God ransom man from the temporal and spiritual death that came to us because of the fall.
And now as pertaining to this perfect Atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God--I testify that it took place at Gethsamne and at Golgotha
http://www.ldsgames.org/default.asp?choice=ppg
Two thousand years ago, outside Jerusalem’s walls, there was a pleasant garden spot, Gethsemane by name, where Jesus and his intimate friends were wont to retire for pondering and prayer.
This sacred spot, like Eden where Adam dwelt, like Sinai from whence Jehovah gave his laws, like Calvary where the Son of God gave his life a ransom for many, this holy ground is where the Sinless Son of the Everlasting Father took upon himself the sins of all men on condition of repentance.
Temple Preparation Seminar Discussion, which is published by the LDS Church, is explained, "Jesus' greatest suffering in making the atonement for mankind occurred in the Garden of Gethsemane, when he took upon himself our sins, which caused him to bleed at every pore. His suffering at that point was even more intense than when he was put to death on the cross" p. 18
"It was in Gethsemane that Jesus took on Himself the sins of the world, in Gethsemane that His pain was equivalent to the cumulative burden of all men, in Gethsemane that He descended below all things so that all could repent and come to Him" Ezra Taft Benson, Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.15
"Forgiveness is available because Christ the Lord sweat great drops of blood in Gethsemane as he bore the incalculable weight of the sins of all who ever had or ever would repent" Bruce R. McConkie, The Promised Messiah, p. 337

David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin wrote:
> I have read this scripture 4 times looking for where
> it says Jesus resisted the temptation to sin.

Hmmm. It sounds like you do not believe that Jesus was tempted?

Maybe the following passage would help you?

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling
of our infirmities; but WAS IN ALL POINTS TEMPTED LIKE AS WE ARE, yet
without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that
we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews
4:15-16 KJV)

The following passage helps us also see the humanity of Christ:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in
the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made
himself of no reputation, and TOOK UPON HIM THE FORM OF A SERVANT, and
WAS MADE IN THE LIKENESS OF MEN: And BEING FOUND IN FASHION AS A MAN, he
humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the
cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name
which is above every name. (Philippians 2:5-9 KJV)

For verily HE TOOK NOT ON HIM THE NATURE OF ANGELS; but HE TOOK ON HIM
THE SEED OF ABRAHAM. Wherefore in ALL THINGS it behoved him to be made
LIKE UNTO HIS BRETHREN, that he might be a merciful and faithful high
priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins
of the people. For in that HE HIMSELF HATH SUFFERED BEING TEMPTED, he is
able to succour them that are tempted. (Hebrews 2:16-18 KJV)

Kevin wrote:
> Would this mean then that he had thoughts
> of sinful things, that he rejected?

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, clearly those thoughts entered
his mind and he rejected them.

Kevin wrote:
> Did he lust after a woman, but never
> consumate that lust?

Jesus never looked upon a woman to lust after her, but he had a male
body and experienced its cravings such as hunger and the sex drive.

Kevin wrote:
> Did he consider just one white lie,
> but decide against it?

Yes, I would think so. Considering a white lie is not a sin. That is a
temptation.

Kevin wrote:
> Is it OK to have sinful thoughts as long
> as they are not acted out?

There are sins of the mind and thoughts. One cannot meditate upon
sinful thoughts and plan out evil in the mind. Nevertheless, it is not
sin to have a sinful thought and then reject it. There is a difference
between temptation and sin.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.

Do you Yahoo!?