What about those tricky Italicized words in the KJV?
II Samuel 21:19  "And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaaroregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam." (check yours maybe it says Elhanan slew Goliath like the NIV)
    By omitting the italicized words we have the Bible saying that Elhanan killed Goliath. (Check yours for errors)  Of course everyone knows that I Samuel 17 says that David killed Goliath. Finally a Bible that lost men love to refer to when they say, "The Bible has contradictions in it".

The NT KJV qoutes the Italicized words:
   Take a Bible (This only works with the real McCoy KJV) read Psalm 16:8. I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. You will notice that the two words "he is" are in italics. Yet when we find the Apostle Peter quoting this verse in the New Testament in Acts 2:25 we find it says:  "For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:"
    So here we find the Apostle Peter quoting Psalm 16:8 italicized words and all! You would almost believe that God wanted them in there wouldn't you?
    Now it might be pointed out that Peter was an unlearned and ignorant man (Acts 4:13) and so, lacking the "benefits" of a Bible college education, he blindly accepted the Bible (King James?) as every word of God. But let us look at the same phenomena concerning the Apostle Paul and the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Paul, as did other New Testament writers, often quoted from the Old Testament in his writings. In doing so, he quoted as did the others directly from the Hebrew Text. We have several of Paul's quotes which contain words not found in the Hebrew original.
    In Romans 10:20 Paul quotes Isaiah 65:1.
    Romans 10:20: "But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me."
    Isaiah 65:1 "I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name."
    Yet we see that the words "them that" which Paul quoted as though they were in Isaiah 65:1 exist only in the italics of the King James Bible.
    The same is true of I Corinthians 3:20, "And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain." which is a quote of Psalm 94:11, "The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity." where we find the word "are" supplied by the translators.
    But the most unexplainable is Paul's quote of Deuteronomy 25:4 in I Corinthians 9:9. For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
    Deut 25:4: "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn."
    Here we find Paul quoting the words "the corn" just as if they had been in the Hebrew original even though they are only found in the italics of our Authorized Version!
    If one were to argue that Paul was quoting a supposed Greek Septuagint translation of the original Hebrew, our dilemma only worsens. For now, two perplexing questions present themselves to us. First, if such a Greek translation ever existed, (which is not documented in history) by what authority did the translators insert these words? Secondly, if they were added by the translators, does Paul's quoting of them confirm them as inspired?
    While you ponder these important questions, we will note that Jesus also quoted from what appears to have been a King James Bible.
    We find Him quoting a word that wasn't in the "originals". In fact, a word that only exists in the italics found in the pages of the King James Bible.
    Deuteronomy 8:3. "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live."
    Note that the word "word" is in italics, meaning of course, that it was not in the Hebrew text. Upon examination of Deuteronomy 8:3 in Hebrew one will find that the word "dabar" which is Hebrew for "word" is not found anywhere in the verse.
    Yet in His contest with Satan we find Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 9:3 as follows in Matthew 4:4.
    "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
    While quoting Deuteronomy 8:3 Jesus quotes the entire verse including the King James italicized word! Even an amateur "scholar" can locate "ramati", a form of "rama", which is Greek for "word", in any Greek New Testament.
    So, just as critics of the Bible like to joke and say, "Well, the King James was good enough for the Apostle Paul so it's good enough for me." A true Bible-believer can truly say, "Well, the King James was good enough for the Apostles Peter and Paul and for the Lord Jesus Christ, so it's good enough for me".

Kevin Deegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am not going to make an argument that the scriptures did not exist before Sinai, as you suggest.
Since the scriptures obviously, DID exist before Sinai.
What scripture existed during Pharaoh's time?
Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh
You downplay God's ETERNAL WORD.

Maybe it is time to reinspect your word is scripture is not word, theology.

Charles Perry Locke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If you take scripture to be only written words, then when Moses penned the
pentateuch would have been the first time it was recorded (provided he
indeed penned it) as far as I know. However, there has been law from the
beginning. There was the law that Adam and Eve violated, then the laws of
sacrifice that Cain violated, then the covenant laws with Noah (the Noahide
law), then, of course, the decalogue, and the 632 points of the Levitical
law. As mankind progressed (or regressed!) new covenants were entered and
new law was given.

Perry