Bill Taylor wrote:
> Interesting, your comments are noted. How do you
> understand Ephesians 2:1-6, in particular vs 1, 3,
> and 5?
>
> 1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,

Sins is plural and so it clearly refers to actual sins.  Infants are not
dead in trespasses and sins.  They have committed no sins, and Jesus
said, "of such [infants] is the kingdom of heaven."

> 2 in which you once walked according to the course
> of this world, according to the prince of the power
> of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of
> disobedience,

By walking according to the course of this world, he speaks of the mind
being inclined toward spirits of the air which work in the sons of
disobedience.  This too does not refer to infants, for infants are
oblivious to the spirits which direct the men of this world.

> 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves
> in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires
> of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature
> children of wrath, just as the others.

This might partially refer to infants, because infants are fleshly
creatures and have desires of the flesh.  They care about being fed and
about being comfortable.  However, part of this passage clearly does not
refer to infants, because infants have not yet developed their mind or
thoughts.  Therefore, this passage as a whole concerns developed
individuals with both flesh and mind, whose conduct is directed toward
evil spirits and doing what their body (flesh) desires.  Here the writer
links the previous considerations of the spirit of the air upon the
thoughts of the mind, with the desires of the flesh, that sinful nature
which all humans inherited from Adam.  He indicates that it was by this
natural course that they became children of wrath, even as others who
were still being led by this nature also were still children of wrath
(meaning that the anger of God is directed towards them).

> 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great
> love with which He loved us,
> 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive
> together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
> 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together
> in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

He says, "we WERE dead in trespasses" meaning what the Jewish writers
had asserted in their writings, that those who transgress the law are
dead.  However, Christ redeems us from this dead end alley.  Consider
the following passage from the same author, which seems to give us a few
more details about how were are moved from being dead as a result of our
actual sins, to being raised up in Christ through the operation of
faith.

"And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and
power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made
without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the
circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are
risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath
raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the
uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him,
having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of
ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it
out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled
principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing
over them in it." (Colossians 2:10-15 KJV)

Oh, no, Bill.  Now I realize that I have reverted to lecturing you
instead of asking you questions.  Sorry about that.  Expect some more
questions soon.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.