Jonathan wrote:
> I think that there are many things that a person
> can say, think, or do that would be displeasing
> to God.  I do not believe that these things make
> one unaccepted by God.

Why then did the Torah say the following?

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the
voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they
have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father
and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his
city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders
of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey
our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city
shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away
from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.  (Deuteronomy
21:18-21 KJV)

Why did Jesus teach us the following?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye
did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And THESE
SHALL GO AWAY INTO EVERLASTING PUNISHMENT: but the righteous into life
eternal. (Matthew 25:45-46 KJV)

Jonathan wrote:
> I want to reply to your earlier post today regarding
> our different (or what I think is different) views
> of sin.  In a sentence I believe sin is an organic
> problem, a disease whereas I think you come to the table
> approaching sin as a legal problem.

Oh yes, Jonathan.  You are very wise.  I definitely do not believe that
sin is a disease.  I think this modern concept of sin as a disease has
caused great iniquity among Christians.

Yes, sin is a legal problem.  A sinner is a criminal deserving of
punishment.  This all has to do with God's Justice, which sometimes
works contrary to his love for the individual, but never contrary to his
love for everyone.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.