Lance wrote:
> Here's the full quote: "Certainly the Godelian
> theorems-which we may transpose from a logico-deductive
> system to a grammatico-syntactic or a logico-syntactic
> system-warn us that no syntactics contains its own semantics."
> Kudos to you David as a grammarian. If syntax and semantics
> were the same thing then you'd be home free. They aren't.

I don't consider syntax and semantics to be the same thing, so I'm not
sure why you would say that such is necessary for me to be home free.

You mentioned Godel, a mathematician who has stirred a lot of debate, so
I searched further about this word "syntactics."  It is a specialized
term not in my dictionary, but I did find a definition indicating that
it does not have the same meaning as syntax.  Syntactics is a SINGULAR
NOUN and should not be confused with the word SYNTACTIC, an adjective
relating to syntax.  Syntactics refers to the branch of semiotics that
deals with the formal properties of symbol systems.  My comments might
not apply because I assumed you meant syntax instead of syntactics, a
word that was unknown to me at the time I read your statement.
Therefore, please explain this statement this statement for us.  What
exactly does it mean?  If you believe the statement to be true,
certainly you can make the case for us.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.