Lance wrote:
> "No syntactics contains it's own semantics."
> Agree/Disagree?

I don't understand your statement here because of invalid syntax.  :-)
LOL.  Does my statement give you a hint about how I will answer you?

Syntactic is an adjective, and syntactics is not really a word, so maybe
you meant to use the noun syntax instead of syntactics?  Also, "it's"
means "it is" and does not indicate possessiveness, but I think that
perhaps you meant to indicate possessiveness.  So now I must begin to
speculate upon what you were trying to say and answer accordingly.

If you meant syntax, I would disagree with the statement.  Some language
phrases carry a different meaning based upon word order (syntax).  In
other words, syntax conveys meaning itself.  For example, if I were to
say, "my dog blue is happy" you might understand that blue is the name
of my dog who has a pleasant disposition, but if I said, "my dog happy
is blue," then you would understand something different, that happy is
the name of my dog.  Interestingly, you might notice that you could not
tell whether I meant to communicate whether the dog is sad or whether
the dog is actually blue in color without context or some additional
definition from me, the author.

Another example might be found by examining more simple languages such
as that used in computer programming.  Some programming languages have
an end of statement character that carries a very specific meaning.
This is syntax.  For example, in PASCAL, if you leave off the semi-colon
at the end of the statement, the program will not be understood by the
compiler and it will not compile.  Clearly, in this case, syntax has its
own semantic (meaning).

Even in the sentence you wrote above, the rules of syntax suggests you
miscommunicated in that "it's" means "it is" and the proper possessive
form that you probably meant to use is "its."  Now I might overlook your
violation of this rule of syntax and infer your real meaning despite
your actual word, but that would not mean that syntax itself does not
have its own meaning (semantic).  It would mean that I was ignoring the
meaning conveyed through syntax alone in order to speculate about what
you were actually trying to communicate.

Do my comments help any?  I am not sure where you are going with this.
:-)  I'm just playing along, expecting some kind of gotcha at some
point.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.