Bill Taylor wrote: Another thing to keep in mind when reading Torrance is this: we are ontologically in Christ from birth via the go'el aspect of the atonement; but the gift of the Holy Spirit is received at the point of trusting in Jesus Christ. Sometimes this is referred to as repentance, sometimes as belief, sometimes as faith, sometimes as conversion.

DM responds > So in the theology of Torrance, repentance, belief, faith, and conversion are all the same thing, or is there some distinction made between these terms?

BT: I was not as clear here as I should have been. I meant to say that in the NT there are different terms, sometimes used interchangeably, to speak of that change of mind which brings us to trust in Christ. When we read of "faith" on the part of a believer, this faith includes that change of mind, a shift away from trusting in ourselves or others or other gods to trusting in Christ. Faith and belief are not only metanoia but metanoia is present in belief and faith. Torrance recognizes this and so does not always draw as distinct a separation between these terms as do many Christians.

DM > Your characterization of the Anabaptist position toward Baptism did not seem accurate to me.  I think they were attempting to restore much of the reality of what Torrance teaches, turning away from dead rituals that have only an external form, but rather than distract from Torrance and discuss that, I'm going to ignore that for now.

BT: You are quite correct in regards to what the Anabaptists were attempting to restore. However, this is not the point of Torrance's departure. The result of Anabaptist theology on its recipient groups, in Torrance's mind, has lead to an over-externallizing of the sacraments (sybolism over substance). If you have a desire later on to flush this out, we can come back to it.

DM > I will say that I agree with Torrance's view of the sacraments, and have for a very long time.  The difficulties arise in how he seems to want to marry certain tenets of Reformed theology with his correct view of the Atonement and Incarnation.  This gets especially problematic when we consider how we should preach the gospel to sinners.  Eventually, we will be discussing these things, but for now, let's get back to semantics and agree upon terms and definitions. Bill Taylor wrote: "The Gospel, then, calls for conversion, a fundamental change of mind, a radical departure from our former way of life. In other words, to believe the Gospel is to convert.  BUT "conversion" is not what saves us. To convert is simply to align ourselves with the truth and reality of him who does save us: Jesus Christ."

I can agree with what you say here, as I preach the gospel in this fashion, declaring the good news, and persuading men to repent of their sin and obey the gospel.  Something still seems odd here, perhaps in your phrase, "conversion is not what saves us."  I don't think I have ever taught that conversion saves us, or even thought of it that way. Yet, you seem compelled to raise this point and I'm not sure why.

BT: This point is raised firstly as a point of clarification. I am somewhat confident in my understanding of "typical" evangelical speech in regards to the language of salvation, "saved by faith," for example. I am also aware that in some instances this is biblical language; however, we must first interpret the meaning of words before they can become meaningful to us. And so I push this point to draw from you an interpretation, a clarification in your own thinking as to what exactly you understand these sayings to mean. Your conclusion will be yours to make. I only push this to point help you to understand the dynamics involved in drawing that conclusion.

Secondly, I stress this point because it is crucial to an accurate apprehension of Torrance's thought. If this is missed, then much of what Torrance says subsequent to this will be lost or misunderstood. To use Jonathan's words, this is one of those "control" beiefs for Torrance. Jesus Christ is solidly at the center of Torrance's thought. His entire theology is grounded in his apprehension of Jesus Christ. We all think ours is as well; however, when pushed and if honest, we will find we are not nearly so centered as we thought. Torrance can help us here.

DM > I still have problems with the idea that everyone is born into Christ at physical birth.  Torrance himself says on page 67, "That 'great  mystery', as St. Paul described it, of the union between Christ and his Church is primarily and essentially corporate in nature, but it applies to all individual members of his Body WHO ARE INGRAFTED INTO CHRIST BY BAPTISM and continue to live in union with him as they feed upon his body and blood in Holy Communion."

Here he says that they are ingrafted into Christ by baptism.  How do we reconcile that with the idea of being born into Christ at physical birth BEFORE baptism?

BT: Again I want to suggest that we be very careful that we do not make universals out of particulars. I am not sure how to best address this quesion. I will look into this today and try to get back to you with some clarity. Nevertheless, I am quite sure where Torrance is in terms of his understanding of the go'el. He stresses many times the ontological aspect of Christ's atoning work -- universal representation, the One for the many, the One on behalf of all because of and through kinship, i.e., blood ties.

Again, I want to also point out that it is NOT that Torrance does not see anything significant happening when an "individual" comes to faith in Jesus Christ. In Torrance's thinking, just like in your thinking and my thinking, when a person puts his faith (trust) in Jesus Christ, he receives within his own constitution the gift of the Holy Spirit. This is huge in Torrance's mind in terms the ongoing mediatorial work of Christ on belalf of BELIEVERS through the indwelling Holy Spirit. I know that Torrance does not quote this passage in The Mediation, but I want to include it in this discussion -- Ephesians 1.13-14

"In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory."

In order to gain a better understanding of Torrance (and me, for that matter) please notice with me some points from this passage (I am aware that you may disagree with us, but I would very much appreciate it if you would try to read my words here with the intent or purpose of gaining understanding):

(1) "the word of truth" was true and constant before you (pl. referring to Christians) trusted in Christ.
(2) "the word of truth" is the good news of your salvation. The ontological status, including the truthfulness and reality, of your salvation is true and real and effective before you believe it. In other words there is no contengency here, no conditions which have to be met on one end before the other end is activated or made real or appropriated. It was "after" hearing the good news about the truth of your salvation that you "trusted" in Jesus Christ. Nothing happens ontologically at this point. You simply trusted in what was already true concerning your ontological state.
(3) Nevertheless, when you "trusted" in Christ, something very significant happened in your life: "having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory." Upon believing the word of truth, you were (a) "sealed" (b) "WITH the Holy Spirit" (c) "of promise" -- what greater, more definite promise is there than that which comes from God?-- (d) "who is the guarantee" -- and what guarantee is greater or stronger or more sure than one which is given by God concerning -- (e) "our inheritance"?

This excites me very much. It motivates me to live a life that is pleasing to our Lord. It makes me want to share this word of truth, the gospel of salvation with others, that they too might live WITH the great assurance of the Holy Spirit. In my mind, and the mind of Jonathan and Lance and Torrance and others who think like we do, there is much to be excited about in regards to the Christian life -- even if for whatever reason we are emphasizing different aspects than most Christians have grown up hearing emphasized.

DM > Maybe part of my problem is understanding how someone can be IN Christ and yet not be in relationship with Christ.  For me, that would be like Jesus saying that he and the Father are one, yet they are not in relationship with one another.  Impossible.  To be IN CHRIST surely means to be in relationship with Christ, does it not?

BT: Let me approach this one from a little different direction. I will try to hit it a little more directly in a minute.

Many, many children have died in infancy before giving or even being able to give any indication that they are in a relationship with Jesus Christ. Yet you agree with me that these children are not destined for damnation. They are safe and will "go to heaven."  The question is, why are they safe? If a "relationship" with Christ is a prerequisite to being "in" Christ, then we may want to believe that children are safe (and this because of things we believe about the kind of God we have) but we have no real assurance that they are. If "faith" and "repentance" (and on and on) are the conditions which must be met on our end in order to be saved, then we can only speculate as to how anyone can be saved in the absence of these things -- even though we may know intuitively that our God is not a god that would send infants to hell.

There is so much here that has to be realized for our intuition about God to be confirmed doctrinaly and biblically. It's one thing to say THAT God does not send infants to hell (you and others have shared verses that would seem to indicate that children are safe -- II Sam 12.23, e.g.); but it is quite another to know WHY they are safe. This "why" question presents a problem for us if we do not have a biblical theology through which to address it. I know that it bothers you and others when I say that what the church has ended up with is two gospels -- one gospel for adults which makes faith and repentance the necessary criteria of justification, the conditions which must be met on our human end for salvation to be appropriated, real, and effective; and the other gospel, the one for infants, which does not have these conditions as criteria for justification. What I want to know, is IF this first Gospel is present and set forth in the Bible, where do we find the second gospel, the one that explains WHY kids don't need these things? It's one thing to believe THAT they don't (even if this is true); it is another to explain WHY they don't.

This is where Torrance has been so very helpful: the WHY can only be answered in the WHO. There is much more to Christ's atoning work than the Protestant theory of substitutionary atonement can explain. This theory in and of itself is incapable of addressing certain questions (the one regarding infants in particular). Yet, this is the theory that MOST evangelicals embrace, whether knowingly or not. Evangelicals have been taught to think almost exclusively in terms of a judicial exchange which takes place between Christ and individuals at the point of an individual's repentance (or faith, depending on who is making the argument). At the moment of repentance, the sinner's sin is transfered to Christ and Christ's righteousness is transfered to the believer. This is sometimes referred to as "the double imputation." Thus it is reasoned that individuals are justified by faith by way of this imputation; i.e., "justifacation by faith" -- Christ being the substitution. This teaching has lead to all kinds of subsidiary beliefs, for instance, the idea that individuals are "born again" in an existential point or "conversion" experience. Another result of this theory is that it separates justification from sanctification. This may show itself in a couple of different forms. EITHER Justification happens in an instance, and then it is past, BUT sanctification is an ongoing process (in other words one cannot lose his justification even if their is little evidence of sanctification in his life). OR justification is seen as a recurring experience IF sancification does not immediately take hold (IOW, one can lose his justification if he is not living a sanctified or holy life). This confusion is apparently grounded in Scripture because we read certain passages that indicate that justification and/or sanctification are a done deal, and others that seem to indicate that both are onging. So, in support of Jonathan's premise, some Christians read Scripture and place more emphasis upon the once-justified-and-continued-sanctification passages, and other Christians read and place more emphasis on the recurring-justification-but-perfect-sanctification passages.

At any rate, all of this is a result of an insufficient theory of atonement. If the Gospel states that one has to be "born again" to enter the kingdom of heaven, and if the only way that that can happen is through faith and repentance, so that Christ's righteousness can be imputed to a BELIEVING individual, then if children go to heaven there is a second Gospel, some other form of Good News which says, AH BUT THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO CHILDREN.

Torrance gets us through this problem. He finds in Scripture through the examples of atonement in the OT several other aspects of atonement besides just a penal substitution. As I have stated before, one of these aspects is realized through the go'el. What Christ did in his flesh he did in all flesh because he is our Kinsmen Redeemer. He is our blood relative, the one who through his lineage is qualified to represent us all; thus when he defeats sin, death, and the devil, in his flesh he defeats these things in all flesh. All humanity is included in his humanity. When he died, we died. When he was raised we were raised. When he ascended we ascended. Our ontological status is in Christ Jesus:

Col 1.12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.

13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,

14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell,

20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled

22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight --

23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

We are therefore included in Christ via the go'el aspect of atonement. In one sense we are seated with him right now as he sits next to his Father. In this sense our justification and our sanctification is complete, mature, perfected, finished. In another sense we are in the flesh in the present, waiting to experience the death we died in Christ. In this sense our justification and (if we are Christians) our sanctification are ongoing. We are being justified by Christ; we are being sanctified by Christ, both through the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit.

Here is another crucial distinction: All are in Christ, but Christ is not in all. Christ is only in those who have received the gift of the Holy Spirit; i.e., those of us who have trusted in Christ and are being sancified. Here is the relational element of faith. Infants are saved because of Christ's atoning work. They may not be able to have a relationship, but they are not expected to have one either. It is only when a person refuses to have a relationship with Jesus Christ that he blasphemes the Holy Spirit.

"Christ in us, the hope of glory" is trusting in Jesus Christ; it is relationship with him; it is this through ongoing, securing, work of the Holy Spirit.

I hope this begins to answer some of your questions. Please continue to ask more. Please do this before attacking what I've said or concluding that Torrance and the rest of us are wrong. There will be plenty of time for disagreement later on, at which time I will attempt to extend to you the same curtesy and respect that I am requesting of you.

Thanks. Bill

PS I have read the rest of your post and am thinking that I have probably addressed most of your questions, whether directly or indirectly. If you are unsatisfied please inquire further.