Bill writes:

This term is either an unbiblical doctrine (cf. as set forth in the Augustinian/Calvinist position) or it is metaphorical language and as such it is representative of something else, which may be real (cf. this has been your position). In reality, and this is my position, it is not something which takes place in the absence of physical death, and in view of the resurrection of the dead, it is only something which could happen in the "second death," as set forth in the book of Revelation. Humans are non-reductive wholes. You have said so yourself. You can talk about the differnent aspects of personhood, but once you separate them and call one dead and the rest alive, you are no longer talking about humans. A person is either alive, or he is dead, but he is not partly this and partly that. That is Greek mythology.

jt: No Bill "It is Bible truth"  Why don't we leave the Greeks out there with Augustine, Calvin, and their metaphors and begin to study God's Word with a clear mind and an open heart.  He has a lot to say about life and death. Why not allow Him to define His terms for us and open our hearts to see what He has to say about the issues of life.

The writers of Greek mythology did not know God and what's more He divides soul and spirit Himself since this is the ministry of his Word (Hebrews 4:12) the sword of the Spirit which discerns the thoughts and intents of the heart.

We know that there is a spirit in man (Job 32:8) and Job knew it.  The wisdom of God tells us "the spirit of man is the candle of the Lord" (Prov 20:27) and that Perverseness is a breach in the spirit (Prov 15:4).  The Lord says "I formeth the spirit of man within him (Zech 12:1)

There is a whole spirit realm out there that probably 90% of professing christendom is ignorant about

God is a spirit (John 4:24)

Man is a spirit (Num 16:22, Num 27:16, 1 Thess 5:23)

Satan is a spirit (Deut 18:11, Isa 8:19, Isa 19:3) and angels are spirits

Sin or perverseness is a breach in the spirit - so how does God define life and death is it physical ONLY?

DEATH & LIFE are in the power of the tongue (Prov 18:21)

An evil man is snared by the transgression of his lips (Prov12:13)

The one who guards his mouth preserves his life (Prov 13:3)

From the fruit of a man's mouth he enjoys good (Prov 13:2)

For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words, you shall be condemned (Matt 12:37)

So what EMPOWERS the tongue and determines this fruit?

The mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart; the good man out of his good treasure brings forth what is good and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth what is evil (Matt 12:34)

Looks like we have a HEART PROBLEM Bill and since heart/spirit are one and the same this is basically a spiritual problem and it has nothing at all to do with Greek Mythology, Augustine, or Calvin.  It is scripture.  The Words of God.   judyt