Bill wrote:
> The writer to the Hebrews uses the passive
> participle on numerous occasions (see, e.g.,
> my post to Kevin).

Sure, for other words, but I have searched the Scriptures and Papyri for
"hagiazomenous" and I cannot find its usage in other sentences.  Words often
take on nuances and sometimes even idiomatic expressions.  It is not enough
to identify the proper conjugation of a word in order to know its meaning in
an ancient language.

Bill wrote:
> Sometimes the King James translators elected
> to convey that passive voice; other times they did
> not. If on every occasion that the passive were used
> the translators had rendered the verb as you suggest
> below, you may have a point: that "are sanctified" can
> connote a present passive; however, they did not do this.
> Hence their translation is a mistake, at the very least,
> because it is misleading: witness Kevin and Judy's response.

I don't know why you would insist that the translators must always translate
a particular way for me to have a point.  The fact that they do not supports
my point rather than takes away from it, because I am the one who is not
being dogmatic about actual meaning here.  Nevertheless, I am simply
pointing out that in ENGLISH, the phrase "are sanctified" 'is a present
passive construction just like the Greek (and so is "are being sancitifed").
Adding the word "being" as you suggest might better convey what is being
communicated here, or it might not.  Some of the modern Greek scholars like
to emphasize repeated action in this kind of situation, but sometimes they
might overdo it.  We really need more usage of this word to know for sure.
The Greek might even be conveying a more middle of the road connotation that
could be taken either way or even both ways.  We don't have enough usage to
really make a determination about this for sure, in my opinion.