"It seems like twitter.com handles favoriting and retweeting well so
there seems to be some discrepancy between what twitter.com uses and
the API."

+1
Retweets_by_others (statuses/retweeted_to_me) includes the retweets by you
and your friends. If you retweet a original status from  Retweets_by_others
(statuses/retweeted_to_me) shouldn't it be removed from
statuses/retweeted_to_me ?. If it is added to  "statuses/retweeted_by_me"
then whats the point of retaining this in Retweets_by_others
(statuses/retweeted_to_me).
>From api you cant actually undo the retweets in statuses/retweeted_to_me. I
am stuck here :(