In message <0baf3814a3ac4766bc06290e17ab8...@glen>, Glen Batchelor <webmas...@all-spec.com> writes
Let's break a few things down and compare:

PCL input and output is covered under Ghostscript, though some complex PCL6
stuff may be buggy. Find a bug and report it at this point. It will get
fixed. Generic PCL3/4 stuff should be solid at this point, but I would
verify with the devs. The XPS/GPDL code has been out for a while now.

Note that PCL5 is a superset of HPGL2, so you've got vector graphics available there ... BT,DT,GTS - written a DataBasic program to dump HPGL to a laserjet ...

Windows printing drivers? While some obscure printers are problematic in
CUPS configuration, I've never had an issue making programmatic
paper/drawer/slot/etc selections when a PPD was available and installed
properly. I'm willing to bet the *nix admin(s) running the equipment
selected printers better suited to CUPS than Windows, so I wouldn't worry
too much about that.

Standard advice, if there are problems locating a printer driver, is to look for the Windows PPD, as they are supposed to be identical. It's just that the Windows setup programs hide as much as they can (including the PPD) from the user.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <pi...@thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the