I don't see why memberships must be free in the first place. Every user
group i have been involved in required dues to be paid in order to fund meeting
places. Why does any company need to fund anything that is strictly user
oriented? You are receiving a user group service, which is free currently.

  When I attempted to start the MV dev society it was based on a member funded
association who's purpose was education and promotion of technology. I got a
decent amount of supportive feedback from many DB vendors and VARs. I think
that a proper MVUG would work if there is enough of a push to get the word out.
Be sure the focus is not just another mailing list or you're wasting everyone's
time. There has to be value there to gain interest and a basic mailing list is
not enough to collect dues.

Glen.mobile
RewriteRule ^(garbage|junk)$ /$1 [NC,L]