Hi,

I think the system was booting when I used the unetbootin method, but the thing was acting as if I'd done an install from the cd to a flash drive, and by-passed the special session from which I could install. It brought me into a session with Unity 3d, and I could, sometimes, start orca.

Per your suggestion, I jusd did a 'dd' to put the image onto my flash drive. The resulting system has no persistent space but boots. I get the drums sound, I hit 'ctrl+s', get orca, and hit 'try Ubuntu. I start orca in this session. I log out, then hit 'ctrl+s'. I can go to this session selector and get into Unity 2d this way. This Unity 2d session ran for about 5 minutes, then the Unity Service Panel applet crashed, taking all the menus with it, and leaving me with a system where I couldn't even switch apps with 'alt+tab'. Assuming I ever get a sysgem that has reliable accessibility, and no components crash, can I install this to my hard drive, leaving my user data in place? If, for instance, I choose the 'advanced' option in the installer, can I just tell the insaller to not format the partitions? If I choose the same username I use with Trisquel 5.5, will my stuff be there when I login? I've already backed up the files of interest to another machine on my home network.

Cheers,

Dave