On Sat, 2015-08-01 at 14:52 +0100, Charlie Moss wrote:
> I simply suggest Slack is a better system that IRC.

That may be, however luckily we don't need to argue about it: it's
simply a non-starter to use a closed-source/non-free (free as in
freedom, not price) product as the primary communications medium for an
open source platform like GNOME, no matter how much better it is.

I do think people have overreacted to this suggestion, and been
unnecessarily rude.  I see no justification for accusations of trolling,
etc.  This kind of reaction seems to happen more often than I'd expect
for a list like this.

Perhaps everyone could just take a step back from their keyboard and
wait a few hours before firing off accusatory messages.  I often write
strident emails, because it makes me feel better to express myself...
but then I delete them without sending them and either don't reply at
all if I ended up having nothing constructive to add, or else send
something simple and concrete.  Nothing is lost by waiting until
tomorrow to send that email, and no one ever wins the Internet.  IMHO
this list would be more pleasant if people were more willing to give
each other the benefit of the doubt.