Chris Rowson wrote:

>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> No idea who's behind this marketing decision, but...
>>>
>>> http://perkypants.org/blog/2007/08/20/linux-for-ladies/
>>>
>>> As discussed in #debian-women earlier...does that mean that ladies are
>>> no longer human beings now?
>>>
>>> [19:15] <seanius> i'll defer to the "ladies" on whether it is or not,
>>> but i would read that line as "because normal linux is too hard for ladies"
>>> [19:18] <liw> hmm... that'd imply that ubuntu's "linux for human beings"
>>> implies normal linux is too hard for humans?
>>> [19:19] <Sharrow> That and the men's shirt says "linux for human beings"
>>> implying that ladies are some weird subset with these odd sticky out bits.
>>> [19:24] <Baby> yup, saw it, it really sucks
>>> <snip>
>>> [19:26] <Baby> well, we're not human beings anymore. I guess :)
>>> [19:26] <Baby> according to Ubuntu at least :P
>>>

>>> This is important, as it seems to be (unintentionally, i'm sure)
>>> offending half of the world's population, and so therefore half of the
>>> possible candidates who may end up using Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> It's food for thought, at least - please CC the relevant people beyond
>>> this mailing list.
>>>
>>> Hobbsee
>
>  Stuff like this drives me round the twist to be honest....
>
>  Why on Earth is there this subset of people who choose to see
>  disrespect, problems and offense where there is obviouslly non meant!
>  It's almost like people are looking for something to gripe about!
>
>  'Linux for Ladies'

To quote Jeff Waugh(see the link at the top of Hobbsee's post) quoting
Demetri Martin:

“If you want to sound like a creep, add the word ‘ladies’ to the end of
things you say: Thanks for coming to my show… ladies.”

>  Take that term. How is it offensive?
>
>  Do a google search for the phrase "for the ladies" - Observe 1,950,000
>  results. Are all of these offensive?

Do a google search for "porn" and tell me how many results you get. Not
all the results are actually porn, so does this make porn ok as well?

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com