Hi Sarah,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:20:29PM +1000, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> No idea who's behind this marketing decision, but...
>
> This is important, as it seems to be (unintentionally, i'm sure)
> offending half of the world's population, and so therefore half of the
> possible candidates who may end up using Ubuntu.
>
> It's food for thought, at least - please CC the relevant people beyond
> this mailing list.

I completely agree.

Sarah (well, Jeff too) has brought up a valid point. As one of the people on
the planet who happens to be a white, middle classs straight male, I'm
pretty sure that I'm one of those people who is pretty oblivious of the
issues that various minorities face on a daily basis.

I for one am glad that people like Sarah and Melissa bring these things to
our attention, and spark discussion because I'm pretty sure that this goes
on pretty frequently in the online world, with little credence given to
those who might be offended.

I note that on many blog posts and mailing lists when these things come up
there are plenty of "white, middle class men" who claim that this isn't an
issue or it's being blown up out of proportion and in some cases this may be
true. But to be fair aren't we white, middle class, straight men exactly
the WRONG people to make that judgement?

I'm all for inclusiveness and openness. Less exclusion, hysteria, opression
and judgement and more of.. well, the opposite really.

2p

Cheers,
Al.