On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Milo Casagrande <m...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> thanks for sharing, and working on, this.
> It was really needed an is good to see it being shaped and formalized.
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM, David Planella
> <david.plane...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > This policy proposal is actually not much of a change. It is an attempt
> > be transparent about the procedure by putting it in writing along with
> the
> > rest of the Ubuntu translation policies [1], to have an open discussion
> and
> > gather input from translators, to address any thoughts or concerns, and
> come
> > up with the final version. Without further ado, here it is - your
> feedback
> > and input will be greatly appreciated:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/PhoneTranslations
>
> I find the policy clear and to the point, as it should be.
> I have a couple of clarifications need though.

Thanks a lot for reviewing it and the feedback! Replies inline:

> On the third bullet point of the policy, it is stated:
>
> «In those cases where there is a contractual obligation to release a
> set of languages with 100% coverage and either Ubuntu Translators have
> stated they do not have the time to complete them or there is a
> critical deadline, translations will be outsourced to a translation
> agency.»
>
> How would the part of the "Ubuntu Translators have stated that they do
> not have time" work?
> Is there going to be a call for translations (knowing maybe in advance
> the language that need to be 100%) and a request of commitment by
> those language teams? It can be hard and demanding on the team, but
> knowing in advance the teams that are willing to commit even with
> short notice could help in having a more community translated phone in
> the first place.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines: doing a call for translations by a
given milestone [1], perhaps with a signoff, similarly to what we do for
language packs. I'd propose to keep it lightweight so that there is not too
much work involved in paperwork (or wikiwork :), though. Any suggestion
from teams would be welcome here.

> I've seen more and more call for translations lately on the mailing
> list, and they can only be good.
>
> The other question I have is: what about those teams that are maybe
> willing to translate the closed source applications that eventually
> will be open sourced? (emphasis on "eventually will be open sourced")
> Going back to the previous point, some commitment is needed, but maybe
> it can be done. Of course, as long as the deadline is not "by tomorrow
> we need 1k strings translated"... What usually are the "requirements"
> for those translations? Is the code/translation hosted privately on
> Launchpad or is it completely out of reach?

It depends on who writes the code, but on most cases it ends up being a
private project in Launchpad. Obviously the number of private projects is
kept to a minimum, but unfortunately not all cases will eventually be open
sourced, and it is not always known in advance which will be. Ideally, we
could open up translations in Launchpad, but that'd make the projects
themselves visible as well, which might not be ideal for some manufacturers
in terms of making public what will be included in their phones ahead of
the release.

The benefit with opening translations in advance here would be that they
would be done by Ubuntu Translators and would be consistent with each
team's guidelines, which might not be the case for a translations agency.
However, in any case for the projects eventually open-sourced, translators
would be able to fix strings after release if required, fixes which would
be then probably be shipped in an OTA update. My personal suggestion here
would be to enable Ubuntu Translators to modify or complete the
translations once the code is available. I know it's not a perfect
solution, but I think it's the easiest in term of managing the logistics
and working with manufacturers.

Cheers,
David.

> Ciao.
>
> --
> Milo Casagrande <m...@ubuntu.com>

[1] https://launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+milestone/ww13-ota
(an example for a milestone, although this is based on a released version
of Ubuntu)