"@tye3ow: In that case, you are probably experiencing a different issue,
as we have identified a specific problem that was introduced between the
290 and 295 series of drivers that we believe is responsible for many of
the reports here.

The next 304 release (the fix is not in 304.32) will contain a fix for
the above described problem. This driver should be released very soon.

If you continue to experience problems after upgrading to the next 304
release when it's available, please file a separate bug instead of
continuing to update this bug. When you file that bug, please try to
provide as much detailed information about the problem as possible. (See
my comment #144 here.)"

my mistake, I saw some reports of the same problem in the comments of this bug
(GPU Fallen off the bus, blank video or simply frozen video, etc). we have an
open bug but it's been ignored for 9 months:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/882710

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia driver causes xorg crash