Chris Wendt wrote:

> Replying in the charset of the original message
> is in my view reasonable behavior: the recipient
> of your reply has the best chance to read the
> message in the encoding the original message
> was sent. Changing the encoding decreases the
> chance the replyee will be able to read your
> message.

When a user issues an instruction to a computer, it
is a command rather than a request.  If a user selects
the option to "Use the following default encoding for
outgoing messages:", then the expected behavior is
compliance.

Of course, you are quite right in that the recipient
is more likely to be able to read a message sent in the
recipient's default.  As we move towards a World encoding
standard, perhaps more applications will use the standard
as default.

This message is being sent in Arabic (Windows) because
it is in reponse to a message sent in that encoding.  The
author of the original message has noted my work-around
and has cleverly prevented it by selecting a code-page
which includes the special character I'm using for the
"kludge".

Best regards,

James Kass.
​