In a message dated 2001-07-12 8:55:07 Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  So the proposal is that minimizing the charset is a good thing?
>
>  This means that you and I start out in a conversation about a
>  product I am trying to sell you, it happens to be all in ascii
>  and we exchange several mails successfully. Then I quote you
>  a price in Euros and my 1252 message gets corrupted by your
>  reader which can handle either only 8859-1 or ASCII, and
>  you miss the fact that the Euro is corrupted and think we
>  are talking dollars or some other currency.
>
>  Although I understand why you would want a minimal charset in order
>  to not needlessly prevent communications, the implication of
>  reliability and trust that is built by having some success is
>  a problem. You think you are communicating successfully but when it
>  is critical it may not...

The premise seems to be that we should reject, or at least issue a warning
against, the earlier messages on the basis that the sender *might* be able to
send characters in the future that the receiver could not receive.  Sorry,
but I can't buy into that.  That would prevent the CP1252 user from ever
being able to communicate adequately with anyone who has "only" ISO 8859-1.

What if I am trying to exchange mail with a user of Windows-1256?  Lots of
roadblocks would be erected because of the chance that the guy *might* send
me ARABIC LETTER ALEF WITH HAMZA BELOW and I couldn't interpret it.  And I
couldn't exchange mail with UTF-8 users either, because of that YI SYLLABLE
BBOP they might send me some day.

>  Perhaps if a harder line was taken when characters
>  are used that cannot be converted, this would make more sense.
>  (ie give a very clear recognizable indication of corruption or
>  conversion failures)

That's reasonable.  Simply replacing unknown characters with '?' doesn't
work; the character is too easily overlooked.  I would like to see mailers
replace unsupported characters with a Unicode representation like "[U+A068]".
 (That would certainly help with this spate of CJK characters that people are
sending lately on the Unicode list!)  I suspect that's too much Unicode
awareness to ask of an otherwise Unicode-unaware product, though.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California