Tex Texin hatte geschrieben:
> Perhaps if a harder line was taken when characters
> are used that cannot be converted, this would make more sense.
> (ie give a very clear recognizable indication of corruption or
> conversion failures)

Am 2001-07-13 um 2:53 h EDT hat Doug Ewell2 geschrieben:
> That's reasonable.

One problem still is mis-labelled mail. On Wed, 13 Jun 2001,
e. g., I filed a bug report against Eudora 5.1 (the latest
version), quote:
| - Eudora 5.1 sends proprietary Microsoft encoding CP-1252,
|   erroneously labelled as charset="iso-8859-1".

Am 2001-07-13 um 2:53 h EDT hat Doug Ewell geschrieben:
> Simply replacing unknown characters with '?' doesn't work; the
> character is too easily overlooked.  I would like to see mailers
> replace unsupported characters with a Unicode representation
> like "[U+A068]".

For "ordinary users", i. e., those users who don't have the TUS 3.0
tome lying next to their computers, a "last resort glyph" would
probably be more helpful, cf. <http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/lr.html>
and <http://fonts.apple.com/LastResort/LastResort.html>.

Best wishes,
  Otto Stolz