Marco Cimarosti scripsit:

> Talking about the format of mapping tables, I always wondered why not using
> ranges. In the case of ISO 8859-11, the table would become as compact as
> three lines:

Well, that wins for 8859-1 and 8859-11 and ISCII-88, where Unicode
copied existing layouts precisely.  But it wouldn't help other 8859-x
much if at all, and it requires binary search rather than direct
array access, which would be a terrible lossage in CJK, where the
real costs are.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.reutershealth.com