Dear Newcomers,

I'm glad many of you have an interest in the history behind the privatization of Clark Park.Many long term West Philly residents didn't have a reasonable chance to understand what was happening before the fence went up, and neither could you.As we enter the 2^nd season of the closure and fencing of the north part, it is a very relevant time for all to learn or review the history of the past ten years.

The master plan for "revitalization" of Clark Park was always a master plan for secrecy, exclusion of the public, and Penn control!You need to know that nothing about the redesign of Clark Park was continuous from beginning to end (2001-2011), except the demand for secrecy, exclusion of the public, and exclusion of park subcultures! (Except for replacing trees, it's completely different from the earlier version.)

The original Master Plan Steering Committee was hand picked and CLOSED before the news of a scheme to redesign Clark Park was publicly revealed 10 years ago!This committee was filled by local corporations and politicians called stakeholders.These individuals did not tend to attend the actual meetings, which were closed and secret with no public records.

Organized by UCD/Penn, a few of the leaders from the most dysfunctional civic associations or clubs were also brought on to the secret committee.Specifically, leaders of The Friends of Clark Park (FOCP), Spruce Hill Civic Association and Regent Square civic association joined.

For a couple of years previously, I had been harassed by these FOCP leaders because of my role as founder and chief organizer of the Clark Park Music and Arts Community (CPMAC).At the time, the FOCP had no recognized power and was the laughing stock by department of recreation employees.They were widely recognized as ridiculous bullies, "neighborhood cranks." (See The Battle of the Bowl, City Paper, 2001)

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/102501/news.park.shtml?print=1

Of course, when the secret UCD/Penn committee was revealed ten years ago; I immediately attempted to gain access for ALL park stakeholder groups as well as our own CPMAC. (This was how I became so closely involved and saw the privatization coming).I knew the goals of the FOCP leadership to control the park, and so I had inside understanding of the serious importance of breaking through the iron wall of the secret committee.(The Master Plan Steering Committee was organized through U of Penn powerbrokers primarily in the real estate department).

Throughout the entire process all park user groups were successfully barred from the secret meetings!

Chronology:First we had this UCD master plan committee.Their plan was largely rejected by locals.On the first try, they attempted to use PUBLIC presentations (a regularly used technique that was severely tightened after this huge failure), but the public backlash delayed immediate implementation of the park redesign as early as 2003. (It was a great example of the simple power and need for public meetings. The public meetings represented the public, and their opinions about the park were right on target.)

Next, the master plan steering committee was transformed into the FOCP planning committee for several years.Members were kept anonymous.This was justified as a matter of confidentiality.Meetings were kept secret with no public information.This FOCP committee was called "the community" for several years in all of the press releases designed to silence any public dissent about the privatization or redesign.

Friends of Clark Park leaders acted as shields for secrecy and exclusion over these years.It was their job to keep the meetings away from the public and bar participation from park user groups! (I often publicly confronted their leaders during that time forcing them to use various techniques to silence my demand for public meetings and inclusion.)

A hopeful moment:In 2004, I publicly brought a motion to the FOCP general membership that would have allowed identification and inclusion of all park stakeholders at meetings which would be made public. The membership approved the directive, but the leaders fought against it and followed up by betraying their members!! (Another installment will be necessary) These civic associations do not follow by-laws or rules of order, so in order to speak with their general members, you must always show up and be prepared to be silenced.

I was permanently barred from the FOCP from that time forward because the leadership could never win a public debate on these principles of democracy.I seemed to be the sole whistle-blower, also speaking about transparency, so no holds were barred against me. Beginning around 2007, when it was leaked that the redesign of the park and privatization would move forward, I forced the FOCP leaders to repeatedly deny me a 1 minute statement at their meetings. The purpose was to publicly expose and record a complaint about the exclusion of park users and public meetings.

At sometime in the past few years, the Clark Park Partnership was secretly "passed the baton" by UCD with the city's blessing.These continue to be invitation only meetings with UCD, UC Green, and horticultural society.FOCP has not only sealed out the public over the past ten years, but lost any future position for themselves or any of us!

Important:Even if the FOCP would now be taken over by trusted members of the community, and transformed from a gang to an accountable civic association, they would be outvoted.It's called "stacking the deck." The park has been successfully privatized and we have no rights to participate on any decisions regarding its future rentals! (There is no reason for any of you to ever give money to the FOCP or become a member! It has long been counter-productive to do so.)

Since the shenanigans began in Wisconsin, I've pointed to the fenced in park when some people have asked me questions.(I live directly across from the new gravel pit)

When I tell the questioners now that all of the groups they had seen, like drummers, volleyballers, etc., were excluded from planning discussions from the very beginning, we shake our heads together!

In democratic societies, the citizenry understands the inevitable abuses of power when the vast majority of stakeholders are banned from planning meetings that will have serious impacts on their lives!In such societies, the majority of citizens rise up and shout "shame, shame, shame" when such unacceptable abuses occur to their neighbors!

But here in the area branded as "the district," the vast majority of the landed gentry, learning of the secrecy and exclusion; declined to speak up at all!(Not everyone but the vast majority)

Back then: The neighborhood gentry had been successfully manipulated to accept a whole package of new neighborhood changes because they seemed to believe that the local streets were going to be paved with gold.Too many among this gentry accepted that the ends justify ANY means.They accepted the exclusion and secrecy regarding the park planning, as well as unbelievable tactics such as censorship, ad hominem, misinformation, propaganda, etc.(I was the park whistle blower but other whistle-blowers for other local corporate schemes were also targeted to shut us up)

But the vast majority of the gentry, silently observing this entire process, refused to speak up about the most important processes of a democratic society or about the terrible tactics used against whistle-blowers!

Unfortunately, with the the ongoing collapse of our republic, I believe too many neighborhoods and landed gentry stayed SILENT TOO LONG!

I hope this 2^nd installment has been helpful.Newcomers and the people of Philadelphia will need good legal help and must take court action against the city of Philadelphia and the Clark Park Partnership or all hope for winning back our rights is lost!!! (They haven't started on the remainder of the park but it's coming! So is the sale or privatization of all Philly parks and recreation centers.)

Sincerely,

Glenn

Clark Park Volleyball, founded 1983 and 1996

Clark Park Music and Arts Community, founded 1998

Proposal to farmers market trust, withdrawn 1997

FOCP Board member, resigned after 3 months