I am a step further understanding the problem - still can not fix it due
to lack of knowlege :(

The problem seems to be that Ubuntu 18.04 uses 'netplan' for networing
stuff, whereas earlier Ubuntus use 'ifupdown'.
Googling shows that all attemtps building a reliable accesspoint on
Ubuntu 18.04 with netplan fail (at least that is my impression after a
lot of searching...)
So, people do the following: They deactivate netplan and install again
'ifupdown'. (Then the 'old' method with hoastapd and bridge-utils should
work again)

However, when I do this on this image, I loose all networks on the
Joggler - probably, because the image depends on netplan .... :(

LMS 8 on Open Peak Joggler (SqueezePlay OS)
Player: 5 x Squeezebox Classic, Slimp3, SqueezeAmp
2nd System: PiCorePlayer (and LMS) on Pi Zero;