paul- wrote:
> but can you shut off the other device for a few minutes to see if things
> run smoother?

Thanks again for the reply, Paul.
I took the battery out of the other device - but it still shows up on a
scan, so something somewhere is storing its id ("Bluthing")!
No real difference in the behaviour of the speaker vs pCP Bluetooth.
Here's a summary, beginning with a working, playing speaker connected
over BT:
1. Speaker off, speaker back on - pairs and play resumes
2. Speaker off, reboot Pi - BT starts, speaker remembered as paired,
with a red X
3. As 2, then speaker on - no change, and no new entries in log
4. As 3, then click "connect". Red X changes to green tick, speaker does
not beep to announce pairing, nothing in log, no actual connection (I
refreshed the screen a few times during this, not sure at exactly what
point I saw the green tick)
5. Back to 2, click "forget", "scan" finds the speaker (and includes
Bluthing in the list in the pane at the top of the BT screen), offers
speaker for pairing, pair as usual and all works. (LMS has not
remembered the song mix that was playing, but that's not related to BT)

The goal for this little project is a plug-and-play-power-only setup for
a bunch of old ladies hosting a gathering. There won't be a network,
input device or display. None of them knows anything about IT stuff so I
think that goal is probably unachievable. If I come across a BT speaker
I can borrow, I'll check that out in case it works like my Sony
headphones (which simply work over BT). I can make a suitable system
with a plugged speaker so I'll see if they'll be happy with an extra
wire.

Cheers - and once more, big big thanks for the BT work and helpful
support.

Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 8 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP >
Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
Library: External USB drive
Android: Squeezer app