No idea what words I'm using that are confusing this simple
concept (attack a mesh with VSL ... remember ?) . Going around
in a big circle here again ... no idea why .

Ah, I missed that last part. Deja-vu... Yes it makes more sense now.
But I still don't think it can be done :(   maybe with scripting??

Now, the Displacer tool comes to mind. It should be possible to displace a high-density mesh by VSL with the Displacer tool, then take a side view, select faces by dragging around the lowest parts (or whatever) of the mesh and make two meshes: high-altitude and low-altitude, that perfectly join and can be used to distribute/paste objects on. Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

  Ya , but doesn't that just boil down to mesh density ? Surely we
can have displaced facial features so then the mesh size must be
expanded for closeups ... huge meshes must be used for detailed
landscapes , which might not be feasible with todays hardware .

Is it possible to put small meshes at exactly the right places, where the camera comes close.. phew, very difficult. In such situations it's probably best to avoid the whole issue and make different projects for large-scale and closeup, cut the scenes.

> I also worked with high-density meshes in poly and triset mode, this
> is more flexible than the displacement approach but you see the polys
> ;( It would be nice to have displacement available in these modes too.

  Yes , but how dense exactly ?
 How about nurbs ? How dense exactly ?

In the order of a million points (1000x1000) is workable in phong-shaded poly mode. BTW, I miss the phong option in triset mode. I don't like non-displaced nurbs for landscapes because the shapes are too soft, all you get is smooth hills.

Hey, meanwhile I rendered another displacement anim:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ath8n0r/div/landdispl03.avi

tnx,
Mark H