Chi,

On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:44 PM, Chi Chan wrote:

> So what's your point, William? Like others have already said, did you read
> what Ron said, or are you just not happy with many forks and each with
> features that are different, and like you said before that you needed to
> choose one to use?

It's a pain to deal with multiple forks.

> And where are your contributions? While it is perfectly fine to use SGE
> without contributing, you are acting as if you built the SGE community like
> others who have done it here for years, and you are feeling despair because
> others just made your effort worthless.

As far as I know this list is open for all to comment regardless of their
contributions to any project in particular.

> Dave Love complained because Univa is spreading what he believe untrue
> information about his fork. The Linux community complained when Microsoft did
> the same thing to Linux. So now are you saying that Dave should not even
> complain in the first place just because this way more people can use SGE?

Feel free to complain about anything all you want.
It would be wise to address the FUD on Dave or Rayson's or even gridengine.org
(if Chris feels it's an appropriate place).

> And you keep on asking for new features, and keep posting questions on the
> list - but you are supporting your clients and customers for money. And do
> you redirect your customers' feature requests to this list and ask people to
> implement them for you?

If this list isn't for asking questions? Then what is it's purpose?
Do you not earn money using gridengine? Does anyone on this list use gridengine
just for fun? (not saying it's not fun to use..)
Are you seriously saying that it's wrong to use gridengine to make money, and
then it's further wrong to ask questions here to support that work? Or even
wrong to sell support for gridengine?

> * I can't find a better way to describe you than a "freeloader".

Then by your definition almost the entire world is a freeloader?

I contribute to a few open source projects (buildbot, plone) and co-manage
SCons (scons.org).
Is reporting bugs not contributing to the project? Is asking for
clarifications, which then become part of the email list archive which then
other people can find via google in the middle of the night when they have the
problem rather than having to wait for a response not providing value to the
community?
I am by no means a freeloader on the open source community as a whole.

Having working in many startups, let me explain something to you.  No product
has any value if no one uses it, furthermore without requests from those users
products rarely get more useable.

-Bill