From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:46 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Apache improvement suggestion

On 5/11/05, Uri Raz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have a problem with object theft on my web site - bloggers & forum
> participants link directly to images on my web site, so they get the
> content and I get the traffic bill at the end of the site. The solution
> suggested to me by the hosting company (which uses apache) is to use an
> '.htaccess' file which would block access based on the referrer field.
>
>  Problem with that solution is that many surfers block the referrer
field
> using a proxy or a firewall, including some surfers who browse my site
and
> legitimately expect the graphics to come up. My idea is to have apache
> remember which IP requested for a page (a file with an appropriate
> extension / MIME type, e.g. HTML) in the last X seconds and allow only
> those who did get graphics files.

This has major problems (some of which you mention) and, more
importantly, is unnecessary.

To solve this problem, simply allow through any request with *no*
referer field, in addition to requests with the proper referer.  Then
anyone trying to inline your images will still find that 95% of people
visiting their page will find it broken, so they won't get any benefit
from the inlining.  The fact that 5% of the requests will succeed
shouldn't matter.

Joshua.