>I've been thinking for almost 10 years now that HTTP is really dumb
>because it has problems like this one. I always thought it would make a
>lot more sense to transfer some or all images (and CSS and JS) within
>the same request as the containing HTML page. Then your problem would go
>away because you could make it impossible to request just the image, but
>still make it possible for people to view the image when they visit your
>site.

How would dynamic stuff work? You'd need an E10k to serve your family's
photo album. Contrary, I think the design was satisfactory. It can be
manipulated, and that's where the good ideas come from. What if your image
is on another server farm? Your web server has to get it and assemble it?
Hell no. I'll let the clients machine do that work :) These are the things
that make it good. Not bad.