1. How do I check for *no* referer field ?

Apache usually prints "-" in the log if the referer is not defined. But it depends on whatever you are using to check the referer in the first place.

Right.  You need to tell us the blocking method you are using.
An example is here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/env.html#examples

Some firewalls/proxies change referrer to "XXXX:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" (my logs contain many similar entries with differing numbers of +), so it might be a good idea to make a blacklist of known unauthorised links rather than a 'whitelist' of you own URL and recognised 'masked' referer headers.

-- Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored.