>> I merely stated that this would be expensive on the server side,

>No, you haven't (or you haven't provided any arguments to support this
>claim). You would not be transferring any more data than you already do.
>You would actually be transferring less because you have vastly less TCP
>connections to establish and maintain. And in fact, in my experience
>it's usually establishing those hundreds of TCP connections that is
>slowing things down most.

An E10k is a relatively large system. Excuse the hidden message. This
protocol that you discuss would have to assemble the page (images and
all), and send it to the client. Now, keep in mind, the client browser
would have to comply by being able to parse the content and display the
results. I don't know how MIME fits into that plan. I do not understand
how establishing TCP connections would be the culprit. Unless, of course,
your idea insinuates statically generated "all in one" pages, implying a
PDF type document.

>> This is why it is the way it is.

>Hardly; you don't seriously think that dynamic content and server farms
>have been around before HTTP? ;-)

No I do not. I know not what you do, or who you are, but I'm not really a
novice. One of the reasons the protocol was written the way it was is just
for that. To scale. Has it not been doing that? The things that we are
speaking of (at the start of this thread) do not need to be the
responsibility of http at all. Perhaps some day that will be different,
but I think there is much more ingenuity to be achieved before the
protocol can be overhauled.

>> Anyhow. Off topic. Be a little more polite with your answers please.

>Sorry. :/

Thanks

Lets not make the OP feel bad about asking his question in the first place
:-/

the system manager.