Apache usually prints "-" in the log if the referer is not defined. But it
depends on whatever you are using to check the referer in the first place.

> 2. Are you sure only 5% of the requests will have no referer field,
> considering the number of surfers using firewalls ?

I just checked 557K image requests on a server. 33K are without referer. So
5.9%...

> 3. Why is it you think checking for no referer field is more
> expensive, server side,

Because checking the referer is a one-off test of a value that is present in
memory. Your idea involves maintaining a table and looking it up.

> than the solution I've offered ?

Errr.. you didn't offer a solution. You offered an idea for someone else to
implement. If you'd care to code it up as an extension or module then it would
be a "solution".

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks, Uri.
>
> At 01:46 PM 5/11/2005, Joshua wrote:
> >To solve this problem, simply allow through any request with *no*
> >referer field, in addition to requests with the proper referer.  Then
> >anyone trying to inline your images will still find that 95%
> of people
> >visiting their page will find it broken, so they won't get
> any benefit
> >from the inlining.  The fact that 5% of the requests will succeed
> >shouldn't matter.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.