I am okay with proxing through Apache as long as I can
measure the time through Tomcat down to millisecond or
better yet microsecond resolution.

For the last several years I have been working on new
type of Educational system using the latest
technologies and since I am working on creating a new
startup I want to be able keep costs low for licenses
for the customers and keep the hardware requirments
low.

Using the 5.x version of Tomcat in JBoss I got down to
subnanosecond in my measurments at the servlet level
yet getting the rest of the way out of Tomcat/Apache
took over 1o milliseconds. Doing some hardware
upgrades that I could afford and upgrading the jvm
some adjustments of Tomcat and the jvm I got down to
the 4millisecond range.

Does that help answer the question?

Regards,
Tony Anecito