Tony,

I agree with Joshua: quite complicating things for yourself.

It sounds like you are trying to solve a performance problem of some sort
but speaking from experience those are highly dubious pursuits unless you
have a very, very well qualified issue. Otherwise, it's purely academic
IMHO. I don't remember where I read this but the rules for performance
tuning are something along the lines of:

  1. Don't
  2. Don't yet (for experts only)

My advice, don't worry about performance until there is a qualified
performance issue (i.e. one identified by a customer/end user) and stick
with the Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat reverse proxy configuration since it's an
industrial strength solution.

Cheers,

Jeff