On March 9, 2024 12:42:22 PM GMT-05:00, Little Girl via Users
<users@lists.geany.org> wrote:
>Hey there,
>
>H via Users wrote:
>
>>Did you try to extending the selection by more than one line?
>
>Yep. I created two separate paragraphs with a blank line between them
>and each paragraph contains several complete sentences.
>
>The initial press of Shift+Alt+L selects the entire first paragraph.
>Releasing the Alt and L and pressing the down arrow sends me down one
>line at a time, selecting the entire line each time.
>
>>By the way, even if it did work by keeping SHIFT pressed, it would
>>mean that you had to extend the selection at the same time as you
>>make the initial selection.
>
>Yes, although I figured that was what you had originally wanted.
>
>>In most cases you may want to extend the selection after looking at
>>your initial selection, ie after you released the keys. Needing to
>>keep SHIFT pressed seems suboptimal - even if it worked.
>
>That can be done this way:
>
>1. Press Shift+Alt+L to select the current paragraph.
>2. Let go of all of those keys.
>3. Change your mind and decide you want to select more lines.
>4. Press Shift+down arrow repeatedly to select more lines.
>
>>I asked the question because I could not find a keybinding in
>>Preferences for extending a selection by entire lines.
>
>Hopefully this will solve that.
>
>>Do you have such a keybinding in your Preferences?
>
>Nothing specifically for that, but I have this one modification that
>I make to the Geany keybindings any time I do a fresh installation
>because I feel so strongly about the behavior. It's possible that the
>selection process we're using above uses the Home and End keys under
>the hood. If so, the configuration below may affect the behavior and
>that could explain why we're seeing different results:
>
>====================
>Make Home and End keys go to beginning and end of displayed line
>rather than wrapping to another line
>
>A default Geany behavior that I don't like is that the "Home" and
>"End" keys go to the beginning and end of the current line no matter
>how long the line is, so if the line wraps, you could end up on a
>totally different line. This can be disturbing and disorienting for
>those of us who expect a "Home" or "End" key-press to take us to the
>beginning or end of the current line without wrapping. Luckily, Geany
>offers us a way to configure the behavior:
>
>1. Open the "Edit" menu.
>2. Choose "Preferences".
>3. Choose the "Keybindings" tab.
>4. Double-click "Go to Start of Line".
>5. Press the "Alt" and "Home" keys at the same time.
>6. Left-click the "OK" button. Click "Override" if you get a warning
>that that key combination is already in use.
>7. Double-click "Go to End of Line".
>8. Press the "Alt" and "End" keys at the same time.
>9. Left-click the "OK" button. Click "Override" if you get a warning
>that that key combination is already in use.
>10. Double-click "Go to Start of Display Line".
>11. Press the "Home" key.
> [...]

Looking at the modification you made, it seems that it does accomplish the
desired result. I am surprised that this would not be part of standard geany
behavior. Also, being able to select an entire paragraph could be a useful
feature.

Thank you for sharing your modification, I will try it.