On 03/09/2024 01:27 PM, H via Users wrote:
> On 03/09/2024 12:51 PM, H wrote:
>> On March 9, 2024 12:42:22 PM GMT-05:00, Little Girl via Users
>> <users@lists.geany.org> wrote:
>>> Hey there,

>>> Yep. I created two separate paragraphs with a blank line between them
>>> and each paragraph contains several complete sentences.
>>>
>>> The initial press of Shift+Alt+L selects the entire first paragraph.
>>> Releasing the Alt and L and pressing the down arrow sends me down one
>>> line at a time, selecting the entire line each time.

>>> Yes, although I figured that was what you had originally wanted.

>>> That can be done this way:
>>>
>>> 1. Press Shift+Alt+L to select the current paragraph.
>>> 2. Let go of all of those keys.
>>> 3. Change your mind and decide you want to select more lines.
>>> 4. Press Shift+down arrow repeatedly to select more lines.

>>> Hopefully this will solve that.

>>> Nothing specifically for that, but I have this one modification that
>>> I make to the Geany keybindings any time I do a fresh installation
>>> because I feel so strongly about the behavior. It's possible that the
>>> selection process we're using above uses the Home and End keys under
>>> the hood. If so, the configuration below may affect the behavior and
>>> that could explain why we're seeing different results:
>>>
>>> ====================
>>> Make Home and End keys go to beginning and end of displayed line
>>> rather than wrapping to another line
>>>
>>> A default Geany behavior that I don't like is that the "Home" and
>>> "End" keys go to the beginning and end of the current line no matter
>>> how long the line is, so if the line wraps, you could end up on a
>>> totally different line. This can be disturbing and disorienting for
>>> those of us who expect a "Home" or "End" key-press to take us to the
>>> beginning or end of the current line without wrapping. Luckily, Geany
>>> offers us a way to configure the behavior:
>>>
>>> 1. Open the "Edit" menu.
>>> 2. Choose "Preferences".
>>> 3. Choose the "Keybindings" tab.
>>> 4. Double-click "Go to Start of Line".
>>> 5. Press the "Alt" and "Home" keys at the same time.
>>> 6. Left-click the "OK" button. Click "Override" if you get a warning
>>> that that key combination is already in use.
>>> 7. Double-click "Go to End of Line".
>>> 8. Press the "Alt" and "End" keys at the same time.
>>> 9. Left-click the "OK" button. Click "Override" if you get a warning
>>> that that key combination is already in use.
>>> 10. Double-click "Go to Start of Display Line".
>>> 11. Press the "Home" key.
>>> 12. Left-click the "OK" button.
>>> 13. Double-click "Go to End of Display Line".
>>> 14. Press the "End" key.
>>> 15. Left-click the "OK" button.
>>> 16. Left-click the "Apply" button.
>>> 17. Left-click the "OK" button.
>>> ====================
>> Looking at the modification you made, it seems that it does accomplish the
>> desired result. I am surprised that this would not be part of standard geany
>> behavior. Also, being able to select an entire paragraph could be a useful
>> feature.
>>
>> Thank you for sharing your modification, I will try it.
>>
> Tried your modification but it still does not work properly. Could I ask you
> try to select an entire line using SHIFT-ALT-L, then extend your selection
> one or more lines down using SHIFT-downarrow but then change your mind and
> instead extend the selection one or more lines up using SHIFT-L going above
> your original selection. Does this work? And, does it work regardless of
> whether the lines below/above your original selection are longer than your
> original selected line?
>
> Which version of geany are you running and what environment?

Typo. s/extend the selection one or more lines up using SHIFT-L going above
your original selection/extend the selection one or more lines up using
SHIFT-uparrow going above your original selection/