On 15/11/2010 1:22 PM, Yanko, Curtis wrote:
I can't help but feel you are confusing the discussion on CD with CI
which to me, is mostly a natural progression and maturity of a good
build system.
Yes. I am not sure which one seemed to evoke the most silliness.
The other good news is, you don't have to use it foolishly if you choose
not too! ;-)

I gather that this must be true since they would have died a natural death in the hands of some of the people showing up here.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwhee...@artifact-software.com]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 10:28 AM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: Continuous Delivery and Maven

On 15/11/2010 8:18 AM, Yanko, Curtis wrote:
You're happy about NOT using CI????

Yes. It seems to be a tool that is prone to being used foolishly.

We are a small shop maintaining and developing a large
(70+POM files) portal application with portlets, web
services, servlets and batch process and do not seem to  have
the types of issues that the people, trying to use CI, bring
to the table.

They seem to get into all kinds of troubles with SNAPSHOTs,
build repeatability, source control and architectures that
are too interdependent.
I can not see how they ever test anything with a continually
unstable CI build.

Of course, I know that I am only seeing the worst cases in
the forum so my mind is not completely closed on the subject.
I can hardly wait until we have a "Best Practice" section on
the Maven site so that I can see how a CI should be
integrated into a Maven environment and perhaps that will
make me unhappy that I an not using CI.

Ron