Tim, I hope You don't mind the question, but did You add the the wagon jar to the MAVEN_HOME/lib directory on Your Hudson server, too?

Anyway, I'd rather not add any libraries to the MAVEN_HOME/lib directory, because this needs to be done on each and every server and workstation where the Maven build has to be executed and would most likely be forgotten when setting up new environments. Furthermore, You won't be able to use Hudsons automatic installation support for Maven any more.

I thought that adding the wagon JAR as a build extension as well as adding adding it as a plugin dependency would work with both M2 and M3. But if You really need different configurations for M2 and M3, You could use different profiles that are automatically activated when the build is executed with M2 or M3. [1] shows how this could be achieved.

One last question: How is the Your Maven repository realised? Reading Your posts, I assume that You might use an Apache server and copy the artifacts to the docroot (using the scp wagon). I'd suggest to use a repository manager, it provides You with several advantages over a simple docroot and normally work fine with the HTTP(S) protocols. See [2], it provides a list of the commonly used repository mangers along with some general information. Especially take a look at the feature matrix [3], it will help You to select the right one for Your needs - I'd suggest to take a closer look at Nexus ;)

Kind regards

   Marc

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-and-site-plugin.html#Maven3.xandsiteplugin-Usingmavensiteplugin2.xwithMaven2.xandmavensiteplugin3.xwithMaven3.x
[2] http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html