Hi Tim,

On 06/04/11 12:34, Tim Pizey wrote:

I cannot see in what sense ssh is an extension ...

In the sense that it is not incuded in the Maven core anymore ... ;)

... But if You really need different configurations for M2 and M3,
You could use different profiles that are automatically activated
when the build is executed with M2 or M3.

Thanks, yes, different profiles occurred to me, but really I want a
single pom which will build under m2 and m3. Currently scp does not
work under M2 or M3.

It is a single POM. Both profiles (I think You only need one for M3) are defined inside the POM. Return to the original version of Your POM an define the scp build extension in a profile, that is automatically activated when the build is executed with M3.

I'd suggest to use a repository manager, it provides You with
several advantages over a simple docroot and normally work fine
with the HTTP(S) protocols.

I guess I am forced to, but I have used this simple, elegant
mechanism since maven1 !

I do not see the use case for repository managers, and am in
disagreement with the decision not to support per-dependency
repositories. (My take on the success of the internet is
decentralization).

I'd say repository managers provide even more elegant features. They allow (amongst others) proxying public repos (to reduce traffic and download/build times), Legacy (M1) to default (M2/M3) repo layout transformation, automatic snapshot clean-up and finding dependencies by contained Java classes.
Define Your repo manager as a mirror in Your settings.xml ...

What should I do about older M2 repositories? eg
http://webmacro.sourceforge.net/maven2/

Proxy them in the repo manager ...

See [2], it provides a list of the commonly used repository mangers
along with some general information. Especially take a look at the
feature matrix [3], it will help You to select the right one for
Your needs - I'd suggest to take a closer look at Nexus ;)

So scp support has been removed to drive people to Nexus ??

I don't know why it was removed - maybe someone else can answer this. I'd suggest that one of the reasons was to get a lighter (and faster) Maven core.