Hi Marc,

On 6 April 2011 09:52, Marc Rohlfs wrote:
> Tim, I hope You don't mind the question, but did You add the the wagon jar
> to the MAVEN_HOME/lib directory on Your Hudson server, too?

Thanks, no, I had not. I have now, and it still does not work:

http://jenkins.paneris.net/job/melati/138/console

> Anyway, I'd rather not add any libraries to the MAVEN_HOME/lib directory,
> because this needs to be done on each and every server and workstation where
> the Maven build has to be executed and would most likely be forgotten when
> setting up new environments. Furthermore, You won't be able to use Hudsons
> automatic installation support for Maven any more.

I agree.
I cannot see in what sense ssh is an extension and I do not want to
manually upgrade maven.

> I thought that adding the wagon JAR as a build extension as well as adding
> adding it as a plugin dependency would work with both M2 and M3. But if You
> really need different configurations for M2 and M3, You could use different
> profiles that are automatically activated when the build is executed with M2
> or M3. [1] shows how this could be achieved.

Thanks, yes, different profiles occurred to me, but really I want a
single pom which will build under m2 and m3.
Currently scp does not work under M2 or M3.

> One last question: How is the Your Maven repository realised? Reading Your
> posts, I assume that You might use an Apache server and copy the artifacts
> to the docroot (using the scp wagon).

yes, you have it:

  <distributionManagement>
    <repository>
      <id>melati</id>
      <name>Melati M2 Repository</name>
      <url>scp://melati.org/data/www/maven2/</url>
    </repository>
    <site>
      <id>melati_site</id>
      <url>scp://melati.org/data/www/melati/</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

> I'd suggest to use a repository
> manager, it provides You with several advantages over a simple docroot and
> normally work fine with the HTTP(S) protocols.

I guess I am forced to, but I have used this simple, elegant mechanism
since maven1 !

I do not see the use case for repository managers, and am in
disagreement with the
decision not to support per-dependency repositories.
(My take on the success of the internet is decentralization).

What should I do about older M2 repositories? eg
http://webmacro.sourceforge.net/maven2/

> See [2], it provides a list
> of the commonly used repository mangers along with some general information.
> Especially take a look at the feature matrix [3], it will help You to select
> the right one for Your needs - I'd suggest to take a closer look at Nexus ;)

So scp support has been removed to drive people to Nexus ??

> Kind regards
>
>   Marc

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I can use straight file:// urls, as my CI server is on the same
machine, and only ever deploy from a CI build,
but that does not fix http://webmacro.sourceforge.net/maven2/

As others have successfully got scp working I am sure it will work for me soon.

thanks again for your help
Tim

--
Tim Pizey - http://pizey.net/~timp