Microsoft doesn't create the desktop apps.  They created a rich environment
for businesses to create the apps.  Can you say Intuit (their on-line
version is not a big hit from what I've heard)?  Nearly all accounting
packages are built for Windows only.  Nearly everything used in businesses
is built for Windows only.  I work currently in agriculture.  Our packing
houses (and Ag is a huge industry) are run by software only available on
Windows desktops -- certainly not browsers.

Small businesses are not flocking to browser interfaces to get their real
work done.

If one looks only at Microsoft apps (and there are currently good
alternatives to those) he misses the big picture.  It's the rich
development environment they have provided that allows businesses to create
the apps we need to run our businesses -- unfortunately on Windows only.
Java is the only viable alternative.

I don't belong to the crowd who thinks Swing has been a failure.  It's been
wonderful in my experience (thanks in large part to NB).  But I've become
quite taken with FX as well (developed nicely with NB) -- for me it's been
a great journey to become proficient with it.  It's still got serious warts
I hope get fixed soon but it's a great start.  If FX falters I'll revert to
Swing in a heartbeat.  Desktop development, in my opinion, doesn't get any
better than Java.  Combine a Java desktop app with a good server, EJB, JDBC
and a good datastore -- good business environment.

What mobile has done is teach people that for a good user experience you
need to download an app -- not a browser.