I agree with Geertjan Wielenga's assessment of the work and the deadline.
I would add, that if you go in this direction it is good to think about
updating the architecture and especially on the Plugin system. It should be
made easier and more functional in keeping with new trends. For example,
there is JVM and one Main Module (Service), that runs all the other modules
of Java (JDK), NetBeans, etc. This architecture can be used for many kind
of applications, not only for NetBeans.