I probably shouldn't have replied, but..

>> ... force customers to a browser interface
For Windows users, this is where you are headed -
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/partners/moderndesktop
In a few years when you go buy a new Windows PC, what will it have spec
wise?  Probably very little, just enough to get you to the cloud.
You probably won't even be able to buy the PC device.  Instead you'll
probably rent it for two years like your cell phone - paying off that last
dollar will take you two years, then you'll be eligible for an upgrade.
You're locked into the platform and the device.  The spice must flow.

I'm thankful I still have the choice of an open OS.  Thank you Linux, thank
you GTK, thank you Java/Swing, thank you open source.  Thank you every
other Apache project I can run on Linux.