If one wants to create an Ant project from within NetBeans, then one should
be able to do that.

I've encountered both Maven and Gradle (Gradle when developing for Android
on IntelliJ... another anecdote about frustration), and I can see their use
when one has to manage one's code base against differing versions of third
party libraries. That's great, but if one is merely doing something small,
especially something that might showcase some feature of SE without
bringing in functionality of third party libraries, Ant leaves the
developer alone to do that. All the stuff that Gradle and Maven introduce
to one's build script becomes useless boilerplate - a distraction
especially when one merely wants to demonstrate or learn a feature of the
SE API and perhaps even to grasp some of the necessity of the build script
itself.

It's not difficult to move a project to Maven or Gradle or any other build
script. Copy one's /src directory from the Ant project to the appropriate
directory of the destination project (maybe set a main class) and off you
go. Novice developers can easily be scared into withdrawal by
considerations that are not salient to their aims, and the distractions
that Maven/Gradle build scripts introduce can only encourage withdrawal
into those developers who are trying to navigate this world alone. I would
consider it a backward step if NB were to adopt the position of other IDEs
and appropriate an air of superiority around the choice of build script.
Because nothing more than an air of superiority is projected by an IDE that
doesn't permit the creation of Ant projects.

I like Ant. Ant is good. Leave Ant alone.

Done.

  Owen.