I have an ant-based NB platform application, moving to Maven is on my to-do
list, but I know nothing about Maven. Some time ago I tried to find relevant
help but I just found generic "move to maven" infos, so I gave up.

> That said, perhaps we could get a write up on someone going through the
> process on some of the common NB Ant projects to show how it's done.
That would be great. No need to be super detailed, but at least the main steps,
so I understand the path and the traps to avoid.

I found this, but is it still valid ? (2013). And it seems for a single-module
project
 http://netbeans.apache.org/wiki/DevFaqMavenHowToMigrateFromANT.asciidoc

Jerome

    Le mardi 20 avril 2021 à 20:19:17 UTC+2, Will Hartung
<willhart...@gmail.com> a écrit :

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:10 AM Lisa Ruby <lbru...@protonmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

  For those of you who have used Maven for a long time it may seem simple and
straightforward, but for those of us who haven't it's not. I've struggled to
try and understand it and figure out how to use it for my software project and
gave up. And it's a huge amount of overhead, extra disk space usage, and more
bits and pieces to keep track of that isn't justifiable for small simple
projects. ANT works just fine for me, and I will keep using it for as long as I
possibly can. I need to focus my time on getting my software out, not on the
tools I have to use to do it.

There are several issues, depending on your project.
If you have a "simple" Ant project, it's mostly a matter of copying your code
over, resolving the dependencies (i.e. correlating the libraries you use to the
ones in the repository), and building.
The singular "huge" amount of overhead for Maven is the large index that's
routinely downloaded from Maven Central, cataloging all of the available
libraries. It's a large download that's uncompressed on the file system (> 1GB).
Outside of that, Maven is lightweight.
Ant is faster, to be sure, but Maven is "fast enough" for most cases.
For complicated projects, anything goes. Maven is a declarative system. "This
is what I want done" vs Ants imperative system "This is what I want to do".
There is an absolute paradigm mismatch between the two, but that does not mean
it's not reconcilable.
The other side of the coin is that, technically, this isn't the place for
converting Ant to Maven. That's a "Ant" problem or "Maven" problem, not
necessarily an IDE problem.
That said, perhaps we could get a write up on someone going through the process
on some of the common NB Ant projects to show how it's done. An automated
system would likely be more complicated and less effective than a list of steps
and heuristics that someone can go through. No ideal, to be sure.
If you'd like to contact me directly with specifics about your project, maybe I
can help you prototype a project transition.

That said, as I mentioned in the other thread, I don't think that NB should
give up legacy support of such projects, just perhaps deprecating the "new
projects".

Regards,
Will Hartung