On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:24:26 -0600
James Plante <jimpla...@me.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > Just for badness, I once created an OpenOffice document of 22K+ pages (yes,
> > over 22,000 pages), of plain text.  I can't remember how many copies of War
> > and Peace it was, but it could be edited and saved, although so slow as to
> > be effectively unuseable.
> >
> > I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents,
> > footnotes, endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I
> > regularly edit and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part
>
> Rory, thanks for that info. That tells me that my goofiness problem may be
> system-related. I'm on a Mac, so it may have nothing to do with the AOO code
> itself. That yours worked, even miserably slowly, tells me I've got a
> different problem than I thought I had. It's still above my pay grade to fix
> it, though. :-(

In OpenOffice /Tools /Options (/Options is under Preferences on a Mac) in the
OpenOffice/rg:Memory section there are adjustments for various memory settings.
 Some of these are for graphics, but there is a main setting which (from
memory) is 256MB for OpenOffice itself.  Increase this to 512 MB( Max
allowable?) and restart OpenOffice, including any quickstarter.  It is
frequently best to close OO and restart the computer to be certain this setting
takes.  Most Volunteers on the Forum will have made this change so long ago
that we forget to recommend it.

As an aside: ought not this memory allocation be increased in future releases
of AOO; 256/512 MB used be ample, but with 8/16GB machines, perhaps the memory
management of AOO needs revision.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>