Larry:

The hardware problem is irrelevant. The AutoRecovery feature is there to prevent loss of data when there is a *hardware* [??!?!!!] or software failure.

Full auto-recovery implies that somewhere all the data in a file at the point of a crash is somehow stored somewhere whence it can be retrieved. What and where is this somewhere, pray?

I have used FrameMaker since version 3.01 all the way up to the current v. 8.x, on Macintosh Classic, Unix, Windows and (briefly) on Linux when Adobe released a toe-in-the-water proof of concept at release 5.5.6 to see whether there was a market. I have never ever lost any data owing to a FrameMaker crash but I have lost plenty to computer crashes and my own stupidity. (Try selecting all content in a file, idly pressing Delete, and then typing something -- in the days when FM only had one level of Undo.) FM also does *.auto.fm at regular intervals and *.backup.fm after a manual save, giving you two extra recovery options after a hardware crash -- but you will not necessarily retrieve the entire file as you do with *.recover.fm.

Why? FrameMaker also launches a daemon which runs silently in the background and watches the main program. If the main program dies, the daemon immediately saves all documents in memory to disk with the special *.recover.fm file extension. This file always contains all the content of the file, even though Adobe (and Frame Technologies before them) warned to examine a recovered file carefully.

But, if there is a power failure and no backup power, once the capacitors in the power supply are drained, everything stops working, especially the CPU. How can the daemon continue to run on the CPU if there is no power?

I don't think OOo has a daemon but does recovery from the last autosaved file, or possibly from a special 'hidden' incrementally saved file. But it cannot possibly recover a complete file after a hardware crash unless an autosave or incremental save occurred just before the crash, and nothing in the file was changed by the user before the crash.

This worked on older versions of OO.o. It is broken on OO.o 3.0.

I don't believe this for a minute and no doubt a hardware and software engineer will never be able to explain to your satisfaction that software doesn't work without power. Clearly OOo's supposed ability to recover from a hardware crash has now become a flat-earth religious dogma, immune from demonstration, explanation, argument, evidence, and logic.

If I lose data because auto-recovery fails, it is OO.o 3.0's fault regardless of what caused the original crash.

Not even when you accidentally kick out the power plug? Perhaps OOo Made You Do It? 8^)

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>